For website security, it’s necessary to create a regular backup a WordPress site. Backups give you handle a critical situation if anything comes and can save you in catastrophic situations such as when your site gets hacked or you accidentally lock yourself out.
There are several free and paid WordPress backup plugins and most of them are fairly easy to use. In this article, we will share the best backup plugin for WordPress.
We will use a plugin to backup our WordPress site easily. The plugin we recommend is Duplicator. This is a super easy and flexible plugin for beginners to backup a WordPress site.
You can backup a WordPress site for free using this Duplicator plugin. This plugin offers up to 512MB site backup for free. If your website weight is more than 512MB, you have to go with the pro version of Duplicator.
With over 25 million downloads Duplicator successfully gives WordPress users the ability to migrate, copy, move or clone a site from one location to another and also serves as a simple backup utility.
Duplicator handles serialized and base64 serialized replacements. Standard WordPress migration and WordPress backups are easily handled by this plugin as are zero downtime migrations. To backup a WordPress site for free, Duplicator is the best choice.
Duplicator creates a package that bundles all the site’s plugins, themes, content, database, and WordPress files into a simple zip file called a package.
This package can then be used to easily migrate a WordPress site to any location you wish. Move on the same server, across servers and pretty much any location a WordPress site can be hosted.
WordPress is not required for installation since the package contains all site files. So, you can easily use Duplicator to backup a WordPress site easily.
Lets get started (Step by step)
2. After activating the plugin, you will see an option called Duplicator on your WordPress dashboard. Click on there and go to the Settings tab.
3. From the Settings tab, go to package. From the package section, you need to choose an archive option. We will use DupArchive at this point. So, click on the DupArchive option and click on the save package settings button.
4. After that, Go to the Packages option. We will now create a backup of our website.
5. Click on the Create New option.
6. From here, click on the Archive tab and choose Enable File Filters option. File filters allow you to ignore directories and file extensions. When creating a package only include the data you want and need. This helps to improve the overall archive build time and keep your backups simple and clean.
7. Now, click on the Next button. After clicking on the Next button, it will scan the site.
8. After completing the scanning process, you will see some options, you don’t need to do anything from there. Just click on the Build option. If you think there is any issue by scanning the site and showing any error or notice, you can rescan the site by clicking on the Rescan button.
9. Now the process should build the package.
10. This process may take some time based on your website size and internet connection. After completing the building process, you will see the success screen.
Finally, when the package has been completed, You will see 2 files called Installer and Archive. These two files are your website backup files. You can download these two files and keep them in a safe place. You can create as many backups as you want for your websites using this method.
From there, your site backup is completely done and you are ready to go. Now, you can migrate this backup anywhere you want (localhost, another host, another domain, etc). To migrate this backup, please read this article on how to migrate a WordPress website for free.